Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Chic Chevron: Coffee Table from scratch



Step 1: get some wood from an old wood pile:
 
Step 2: Begin to make some 45 degree cuts.

 Step 3: Attach the pieces
Okay well that's not your step-by-step how to, obviously; but, I thought it might be nice to include a few photos from along the way.  I went one Saturday to pick up some wood from a local cinematographer who had at one point refinished his gate.  I very lady-like picked out a few boards that I found a bit of life still in and loaded 'em up.  This project took a few curve ball turns.  I originally had a whole different vision in mind, that gradually took on a different face at every step.  I was pretty thrilled to get to use a miter saw, particularly because it made the cuts so quickly and with such precision.  The problem I continued to run into, and will continue to if I persist to use discarded materials, is the boards were 1. old 2. warped 3. varying sizes and depths.
This as you may assume can create a few problems when you are wanting some fluidity and smoothness to your pieces.  I also came across the trouble of needing the table to be sturdy.  I rebutted with the thought that I am not making furniture for people to stand on and dance upon (though I wouldn't be fully opposed).  I failed to recognize the naturalness to sitting on the ledge of a coffee table while chatting with someone on the couch.  Needless to say, I wanted my project to withstand a decent about of wear and tear.  And withstand it she does!
I tried to create some legs that could portray a bit of modernity and simplicity to offset the detail and interest of the top.  When all put together, while very modern, it was a tad too short for my liking.
So I screwed on some hefty casterwheels which complement her whole image quite nicely.

I am consistently surprised at how varied my responses are to these projects as they develop.  How often I am thrilled and inspired, and at many times frustrated and in disgust, only to consistently see a thread of potential and hope. Their finished projects rarely disappoint.
So many alterations and adjustments, hours of sanding and refining. What glory to behold a beauty that could never have been realized without the vision and labor of another.  Again, I am in awe.